Saturday, January 5, 2013

Back on the Horse with a 50th birthday present

So here we are in a new year and I have not been a very good blogger.... I have not written anything in quite a while....  Oh well not much has been done or happened since the last post.  I have finished a few projects over the last month or so.  I finally finished an afghan for my best friend that I promised her 3 years ago... oopps...  It is pretty gorgeous and I liked it so much that I have started another one for my own house.  I made some Christmas cards but instead of sending them out, I used them with my Christmas presents.  So it worked out pretty well I think.  I forgot to take pictures of them so I will have to get better about that as well as just plain posting on here!  I also reorganized our "guest room" into a craft room.  I have a craft room now!  I was working on a project in there this morning though and it was a little chilly... that was when I realized the heating vent was closed... :) So I still ended up crafting on the dining room table.  My most recent project is a gift for my dad for his 50th birthday.  As a recent college graduate I of course have TONS of loans to pay-off so my budget has become increasingly smaller over the last few months.  Plus we just had Christmas so my wallet is really feeling the pinch now... So after looking on Pinterest for a little bit and perusing the Internet, I came up an idea.  I decided to make him a jar gift.  

I used an old spaghetti jar that I saved and filled it with 25 pieces of candy.  I then made a list of 25 memories and hopes for the future that involved my dad in some way, shape or form.  I cut out each reason onto a slip of paper and folded it up and put all the slips in the jar with the candy.  I made a cut tag that I hot glued onto the front of the jar and I mod podged a decorative piece of paper onto the lid to hide the name of the spaghetti jar.  Tied a ribbon around the rim of the jar and called it good!  It isn't amazingly beautiful but I am happy with the outcome and I think my dad will love it!

Here is the tag I used if anyone wants it!

50’s not so bad...
Here are 50 memories, dreams and candies to make the day a little sweeter.  Look back on the good times, look forward to the ones not yet made and don’t look at your waistline after you eat all the candy J
Here are a few sayings to remember as you are turning 50 today:
1.      Birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you live! – Anon

2.     The years between fifty and seventy are the hardest. You are always being asked to do things, and yet you are not decrepit enough to turn them down. -  T. S. Eliot

3.     I still have a full deck; I just shuffle slower now – Anon

4.     I'm not 50. I'm 18, with 32 years of experience!








No comments:

Post a Comment