Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Cheap But Thoughtful Valentine's Gift

Do you have one of those husbands that has a hard time thinking of date ideas and so you always have to plan the dates?  Welcome to my world...  My husband is a first year teacher and has little time to be creative or romantic, but he has looked in this box for a few hints (not that he has done one yet, but with V-day coming up I am thinking this little box might come in handy for him!)  With Valentine's Day fast approaching I have decided to share this little idea with those that might have agreed to a "cheap" Valentine's day or you just like to give your special someone something with a little thought behind it.

The gift is called a Hint Box.  I found the idea somewhere online last year as I was looking for gifts for my hubby.  I used a card board box I bought from Joann's and covered it with paper and mod podge to make the box pretty. Make your box as flashy or as simple as you like!  (You could also just use a mason jar or something like that to put all your hints into.)  I then took strips of paper and wrote date night ideas on each paper slip.  Some ideas cost little to no money and others would cost a little more.  After I wrote out each idea I folded up the piece of paper and wrote either "free" "$" or "$$" on the outside of the slip.  This way my man could look for a date night that fit our budget at that time.

Here are some of the date night ideas I included:
1.  Free- pack a picnic lunch and have lunch/dinner at the park.  Bring a book (or game) for each of us so that we can finish the date with reading or a game.
2.  Free - Wii night!  Line up an array of Wii games and prepare to have some fun!  Rent games or just use the ones we have!  Make it into a competition with some kind of prize ;)
3.  $$  - Take me to a store and give me $10 to spend in anyway I want (on something I want, not need) and give yourself $10 to spend as well!  Shopping trip!
4.  $$ - For a very special date, write me a love letter and give it to me at dinner at a nice restaurant.  Finish the date off with some flowers.
5. $ - Make a movie night.  Pop some popcorn, buy some movie theater style candy and surprise me with a movie rental!
6. $ - Setup a puzzle and snacks for a fun night were we can snack and talk and puzzle together!
7. Free- Take me to a park with a blanket and a board game and have a game night outside!
8. $ - Surprise me by taking me out to a great ice cream store!
9. $$ - Ice cream sundae night!  Get all the fixings and create an ice cream buffet for us to share!
10. Free- Clean the house and surprise me with a spa day.  Rub my feet, hands, and back with candles burning and soft music going.  Never know how this might end.. ;)





Of course you can always come up with more dates specific to you and your special one.  I love ice cream so it is often featured in my ideas :)  We also love games and puzzles so I included this in my ideas as well.
With the hint box I also created a list of 101 reasons why I love my husband.  I picked 101 because I thought this would challenge me to find very small and specific details... 101 reasons took me awhile but after about a week of really thinking and watching what makes me love this man so much, I came up with 101 reasons!

This gift went over really well and my husband loved it!  I have done the coupon books before but I never stick to them so I thought this was a better twist!  I am hoping to add a few more suggestions this year as part of his V-day gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment